itravelnet.com - Travel Directory

Airline News

Airline News

AIRLINE NEWS


Wednesday, September 17, 2008
 

Lufthansa buys stake in Brussels Airlines holding


BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) - Germany's Lufthansa AG has moved to take over Brussels Airlines, purchasing a 45 percent stake in the holding company that owns the Belgian carrier for 65 million euros ($91.4 million), the companies said Monday.

The deal gives Lufthansa the option to take over all of Brussels Airlines in 2011 for a price not exceeding 250 million euros ($351.6 million).

In the first phase, Lufthansa will take a 45 percent stake in SN Airholding though a capital increase. The price for taking the remaining 55 percent in 2011 will depend on Brussels Airlines' performance within the ceiling set by Monday's deal.

The deal is dependent on regulator approval and support from Lufthansa's supervisory board and the shareholders and board of Brussels Airlines.

The German carrier, which also owns Swiss International Airlines, said it envisions Brussels Airlines continuing to operate largely independently after the deal.

Brussels Airlines started operating last year. It combined the budget Virgin Express airline with SN Brussels Airlines - the successor to former Belgian flag-carrier Sabena, which went bankrupt in 2001.

The news comes at a time when many airlines are having trouble - notably Italy's Alitalia, which was declared bankrupt Aug. 29 - and the industry is consolidating at a time of high fuel prices and global economic problems.

Last year Lufthansa carried 63 million passengers in it fleet of 513 aircraft. Brussels Airlines carried 5.8 million in its 49 planes.

Lufthansa employs 105,000 people, and Brussels Airlines employs 3,000.

Source: news.google.com

Labels: , ,



Wednesday, April 30, 2008
 

Brussels Airlines says in talks to enter alliance


Belgium's Brussels Airlines said on Tuesday it was in talks with various partners to enter one of the world's main commercial airline alliances and keeping the door open for a possible stake sale to a new shareholder.

reuters.com

Labels: ,



Wednesday, February 21, 2007
 

'Unlucky' airline logo grounded


Brussels Airlines has changes its logo of 13 dots that made up the letter 'B' after a flood of complaints from superstitious passengers.

bbc.co.uk

Labels: , ,


Home |  About |  Contact |  Disclaimer |  Privacy Policy |  Sitemap |  Travel Merchants |  Add a travel site |  Advertise Copyright itravelnet.com itravelnet.com - Travel Directory | All Rights Reserved