Cape Town is the world-renowned international tourist destination, recently voted #1 destination in the World for 2011, by Trip Advisor. It is second biggest city in South Africa. It is often called “The Mother City” due to its historic establishment as the first city in South Africa. The excellent climate, scenic points, numerous Cape Town accommodation choices, and the amazing commercial infrastructures all contribute to the popularity of the place; along with the wonderful “upside-down” weather, meaning that when the Northern Hemisphere is deep in winter, the sun is shining in South Africa!
Here are 7 Favourite Things To do on a Cape Town Vacation
1. Wine tour and wine tasting – The famous South African wines are grown in the Cape. One special time of year to visit the vineyards is January through to March so that people can watch the harvesting process to witness the winemaking techniques of the locals. The romantic scenery against the backdrop of thousands of grapevine makes it very popular among visitors, with a spectacular backdrop of mountains and blue skies.
2. Hiking – this is another favourite thing to do while in Cape. The world famous landmark, Table Mountain and other mountains that make up the range right down to Cape Point offer a number of hiking trails that will take you through some of the most scenic places in the Cape. Among the popular hiking trails frequented by tourists are The Cape of Good Hope Trail, the Orangekloof Hiking Trail, Chapman’s Peak and the Amphitheatre on the Kalk Bay mountain hike, among others.
3. Safari – this is one of the most famous activities to do in South Africa. Wildlife safaris allow tourists to view and visit animals in their natural habitat. Visitors usually ride vehicles to keep them safe from wild animals roaming such as the big cats (lions, cheetahs and leopard), as well as elephant, buffalo and rhino. There are a number of safari game reserves just two hours away from the Cape.
4. Helicopter Tours – if you want to see the whole of Cape Town then the best way to do that is by air. You can go on thrilling charter or fly with an instructor or do a tandem flight. You will see the whole of Cape by air and visit various tourist destinations in minutes with helicopter tours. Ride a Huey low over the waters of the bay for an exhilarating experience!
5. Diving – this is another favourite activity while in Cape. Cape Town is situated near two large bodies of water – the Atlantic Ocean and Indian Ocean. This is one of the must-do things while you are in the place. There are more than a hundred dive sites in the area. However, if you are not so confident of your diving skills in an open ocean, you can dive at the Two Oceans Aquarium with its tank filled with 2.2 million litres of water along with the sharks.
6. Township Tours – these tours provide a great way of learning South African culture and history. Townships were the places people used to live based on their races during the apartheid regime. It is important to get a guide to tour you to the different townships, but it does offer a peek into the way life was through this period of history.
7. Attending Various Events – The city is known for organised major events all throughout the year. Among the well-known events are: Cape Argus Cycle Tour, Cape Town Jazz Festival, Kirstenbosch Summer Sunset Concerts and City Harvest Festival. Most of these events are just minutes away from the different Cape Town accommodations.
Cape Town hotels and self catering apartments are numerous and varied. By visiting a city by the sea you get the best of both worlds, a beach evironment in a sophisticated city setting. Cape Town accommodation can be confusing, so let Come To Cape Town help make your Cape Town vacation special. We look forward to welcoming you to our unique city and showing your around.