Planning a trip to the Eurozone this year? Whether you’re planning to lounge on the beaches of the South of France or ski in the Austrian Alps – you’re going to share one concern. How can you get the best Euro Exchange Rate?
Getting the best euro exchange rate can make or break your holiday. It can make the difference between feeling flush and treating yourselves to a really great time, or feeling a bit strapped for cash and holding back. When you’re exchanging a couple of hundred pounds to euros, even the difference of a few pennies in the rate can save or lose you dozens of Euros. Let us put that into context; that’s a good few bottles of wine!
The golden rule is to shop around and take your time about it. GBP EUR rates can change in as little as week to week – so if you notice that the rate is particularly good, you’d be wise to make your exchange then and there. If you don’t, you’ll likely regret it not long after when the rate goes up again.
We’ll share a few more golden rules with you. Follow them, and you’ll hopefully be dining in style once you reach the Eurozone!
- Check the pounds to euros exchange rates with any credit or debit cards you plan to use before you go. Some banks are offering great deals, but others aren’t. Be sure to know whether a card is okay to use daily while you’re away, or whether it’s best left to emergencies only.
- Some banks offer special deals for those who have accounts with them, so do some research into what you could be offered.
- Be wary of exchanging bigger amounts of money on the high street. Commercial ‘bureaus de change’ often have low rates and high interest – making them a very unattractive prospect.
- Though ‘commission free’ money from some high street providers sounds good – they often offer poor exchange rates to recoup their earnings. Make sure you compare ‘like for like’, i.e. the total number of euros you will get in place of your pounds when the transaction is complete.
- Think ahead. We can’t stress this point enough! If you leave it to the last minute and exchange money at the airport or at the border, you’ll be subject to very poor exchange rates simply because you’re a captive audience.
- Internet currency converters often offer attractive rates. If you’re going to use this method, make sure you plan way in advance and ensure that you’re using a reputable company.
Take note of these few golden rules, bide your time and do your research – and you will be much better placed to get the best euro exchange rate available. And remember, it may seem boring but those few extra bottles of wine will be your reward!