Moving is an adventure -especially when you have to do it by car. Packing up everything you own and hitting the open road with your family is probably not how you pictured spending your summer vacation. But if that’s your reality, there’s no need to despair. With a little planning, you can turn this cross-country journey into a memory-making adventure for everyone involved – especially the kiddos. So load up the minivan and get ready for some quality family time…on the road!
Tips for a successful car move
Moving with kids can be a challenge, but there are a few things you can do to make the process go more smoothly.
1. Easy Auto Ship can help take some of the stress out of moving by transporting your car for you. They’ll pick up your car at your old home and deliver it to your new address, so you don’t have to worry about driving it cross-country. If you aren’t sold, check out these Easy Auto Ship reviews.
2. Plan ahead as much as possible and try to give yourself plenty of time to get everything done. If possible, schedule your move for during the summer when your kids are out of school and can help with the packing.
3. Be sure to pack plenty of snacks and drinks for the trip – kiddos get cranky when they’re hungry!
4. If possible, take a break every few hours so the kids can get out and run around and you can stretch your legs.
Now, without further ado… Here are 8 fun activities your kids can enjoy while on the road:
1. Play games like “I Spy” or the license plate game
Games like “I Spy” and the license plate game are perfect for keeping little ones entertained, and they’re also a great way to promote communication and teamwork. And if all else fails, there’s always the classic game of car bingo. With a little planning and creativity, you can turn a tedious road trip into a fun-filled adventure.
2. Listen to music or audiobooks
If you’re looking for a way to keep your kids entertained on long car trips, you might want to consider letting them listen to music or audiobooks. Both can provide an enjoyable listening experience, and they can help to pass the time. Listening to music can also be a great way to relax, and it can boost your mood.
Audiobooks, on the other hand, can be a great way to learn something new. If you’re looking for something educational for your kids to listen to, there are a variety of options available. No matter what you choose, listening to music or audiobooks can be a great way to keep your kids entertained on long car trips.
3. Draw pictures or make crafts
This can be as simple as giving them a piece of paper and some crayons, or you can bring along pre-made craft kits. Either way, it’s a great way to encourage their creativity and occupy their time. Plus, when you finally reach your destination, you’ll have some lovely new artwork to display.
4. Have a picnic in the backseat with food and drinks
This is a great way to break up the monotony of a long car trip. Stop at a rest area or park, and enjoy a little picnic in the backseat. It’s also a great opportunity to teach your kids about healthy eating habits.
5. Look out the window and spot interesting things along the way
This is a great way to pass the time and explore your surroundings. See how many different things you can spot along the way. You might be surprised at what you see!
6. Tell stories or jokes
This can help to engage their creative minds and keep them from getting restless. If you’re not sure where to start, you could ask them to come up with a story that starts with a certain word or phrase.
You could also take turns telling jokes and see who can make the other person laugh the most. Either way, spending some time talking and laughing with your kids is a great way to make lasting memories on your next road trip.
7. Sing along to songs together
Not only will this help to occupy their minds, but it can also be a fun bonding experience. Plus, it’s a great way to sneak in some extra learning – studies have shown that children who sing along to educational songs have better memory recall than those who don’t. So next time you’re on a road trip, turn on the radio and let the singing begin!
8. Let them watch movies on your phone or tablet
If you’re stuck in traffic or on a long road trip, it can be tough to keep your kids entertained. One option is to let them watch movies on your phone or tablet. You can either put on a movie that everyone can enjoy or allow each child to choose their own film. This can help to keep them occupied for at least a few hours.
Although it may seem daunting to entertain your kids on a long car ride, there are many fun activities that you can do to pass the time. With a little creativity, you can turn even the longest road trip into an enjoyable experience for the whole family. Do you have any other tips for keeping kids entertained while traveling? Share them with us in the comments below!